2016 Canola Variety Information
The Variety Descriptions tables summarizes the performance of limited canola varieties tested in 2016 through the post-registration Canola Performance Trial (CPT). Data was audited by field inspection and a data review process by a joint committee of government and industry.
The data presented was collected from small plot trials (13 successful in 2016) following scientific protocols to ensure comparisons are unbiased. Detailed notes on other variety attributes, trial management and variety comparisons at individual locations, or across multiple years and location can be found at www.canolaperformancetrials.ca.
The best performance indicator is a comparison over multiple sites and years. The trial design included grouping varieties by herbicide tolerance (HT), so the LSD (Least Significant Differences) has been included for each group to help determine if yield difference are significant.
Large scale (47 successful) trials with limited variety comparisons were conducted with protocols and selected audits for proper comparisons, data collection and scrutiny. Paired t test statistics were used to identify significant yield differences from the check (5% level).
Disease Ratings for Canola
- Column indicating disease tolerance is for Blackleg, Clubroot or Sclerotinia
- Blackleg: All tested varieties have the resistant (R) rating that strongly suppress blackleg, but can still develop lesions or cankers at certain locations and years. Better blackleg control is achieved through use of resistant varieties and using a one in four year canola rotation.
Varieties with Clubroot Resistance
- Bayer CropScience: L135 C, L241C
- Brett Young: 6056CR, 6076CR, 6086CR
- CANTERRA Seeds: CS2000; Cargill: V12-3
- Crop Production Services: PV 580 GC, PV 581 GC, PV 590 GCS, VR 9562 GC
- Dow AgroSciences: 1020 RR, 2020 CL
- Monsanto/DeKalb: 74-54 RR
- Pioneer Hi-Bred/DuPont: 45H29, 45H33, D3155C, 45CS40
- Syngenta: SY4105, SY 4187